Limited Time   Hot Tub Financing: Luxury Spas Starting at $59.90/mo

Limited Time  Your Own Private Sauna at Home, Starting at $72/month

(402) 488-0148 Close My Pool Menu

Why Shocking Your Pool Is So Important

  • March 01, 2012
  • 3 Minute Read
  • Pools

Pool water contains a lot of undesirable elements that contaminate the water and reduce the efficiency of the chlorine being used. Things like suntan oils, cosmetics, perspiration, and other organic materials react to combine with the chlorine in the water to form “combined chlorine”. Once “combined chlorine” forms, it acts as a very poor disinfectant, contributing to eye and skin irritations and the forming of unpleasant chlorine odor. Routine shock treatment or “shocking” is necessary to destroy the combined chlorine compounds and restore the chlorine sanitizer to optimal efficiency. Shocking a pool is simply adding an adequate amount of chlorine or non-chlorine shock to break down the combined chlorine. The best and most common practice is to shock a pool once a week. A pool should also be shocked at the first signs of algae, after heavy rainfall, after periods of heavy use, and at the onset of a loss of water clarity or quality. Determining what shock to add and how much to use will vary from pool to pool as the summers here in Nebraska can be pretty harsh. Consulting with your professional pool retailer is recommended.