When it comes to pool and spa chemicals (or any chemicals, for that matter) making sure that you’re following proper storage and handling procedures and guidelines is imperative. In our last segment we reviewed some of the “basic” reasons behind the importance of chemical safety. Today we’ll review some of the “always do this” and “never do this” scenarios to help bump up your safety knowledge a few more notches.
- Always make sure to store your chemicals in a cool, dry, well ventilated area that’s out of direct sunlight.
- ALWAYS STORE YOUR CHEMICALS AWAY FROM CHILDREN AND PETS!!!
- Make sure to always store all of your pool and spa chemicals in their original containers. And, NEVER use anything that’s in an unlabeled container – thinking that you maybe-kinda-sorta know what’s in a container is nothing but a recipe for disaster.
- Always make sure that containers are kept closed when not in use.
- Always, always, ALWAYS read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Choosing to not read or follow the instructions that came with your new tent is one thing…opting to do the same with chemicals that have the potential to be volatile and dangerous is an entirely different ball game.
- Make sure that you’re always wearing all the necessary protective equipment (gloves, eyewear, footwear, etc) when handling any of the chemicals.
- When measuring and/or transferring chemicals, always make sure to use a separate (clean!) plastic or metal measuring cup for each chemical. Wood scoops should NOT be used.
- Take great care to protect your chemicals from ANY type of moisture. That means leave your coffee inside! Also, ensure that your measuring scoops are completely dry before placing them back into their respective containers…placing a wet scoop back into the chemical container can cause a VERY unwanted (and dangerous) reaction.
- Unless specifically instructed to do so by the accompanying instructions and/or label, NEVER dilute chemicals by adding water to the chemical. Instead, dilute via the addition of chemicals to water.
- NEVER SMOKE WHEN HANDLING CHEMICALS AND NEVER EXPOSE YOU POOL AND/OR SPA CHEMICALS TO EXCESSIVE HEAT OR FLAMES.
- Do NOT store acids and oxidizers next to OR near each other. Chlorine gas is released if the two come in contact with each other.
- Never stack containers, and never store liquids above powders/solids.
- Do not store ANY chemicals at a height that is above your head.
- If a chemical happens to spill, do NOT put it back into its container. Instead, immediately clean it up ACCORDING TO MANUFACTURER’S DIRECTIONS. If a violent reaction occurs, call 911 for further instructions and assistance.
- Never mix different chemicals together.
- NEVER, EVER, EVER store your pool chemicals anywhere near fertilizers, paints, turpentine, grease, herbicides, or ANY TYPE of flammable materials. This may seem like common sense – especially given all of the other “Always” and “Nevers” listed above – BUT it also tends to be one that people tend to fudge on, especially when storage space is limited.
- Do not EVER reuse containers. No. Matter. What.
We know this is a LOT of “Always” and “Nevers” to remember. That’s why we keep certified pool experts on staff and ready to help you with all your pool and spa maintenance (chemical and otherwise) needs! After all, Bonsall Pool and Spa is Lincoln’s pool experts…and we have been since 1951!