Having as many water safety steps as possible is the best way to assure a safe and fun experience in a residential pool. Parents and families can build on their current safety practices by adopting water safety steps at home pools and spas, such as:
- Always watch your children when they are in or near a pool or spa
- Teach children basic water safety tips
- Keep children away from pool drains, pipes and other openings to avoid entrapments
- Have a portable telephone close by at all times when you or your family are using a pool or spa
- If a child is missing, look for him or her in the pool or spa first
- Share safety instructions with family, friends and neighbors
Stay tuned for parts 2 and 3 of the series where we’ll touch on learning and practicing water safety skills as well as making sure that you have the appropriate for your pool and spa to keep the environment as safe as possible.